-->

Cari tulisan / Find an article

Thursday 31 March 2011

Lessons from failure / pelajaran dari kegagalan

Some time ago, my friend sent me an SMS and asking bout me. I told him that I had good news. My friend asked me "What good news?".

"Yesterday, 2 of my deals failed. Settled "

"Good news?. How could it be? "

Yes, it's different what my friend was thinking with what's in my head. Obviously very different. My friend thought that my failure is bad news. While I think it's good news. Maybe it's weird. But obviously it's good news. At least that failure teach me many things. Shown me a lot of mistakes I have done in building the business. Yes, indeed I also feel it. The failure was very bitter. Even painful. But clearly,  I feel the benefits of failure. I was reminded about words from a trainer when I follow the seminar. "The first ladder of success is failure, if you want to succeed, do not be afraid to fail." Similar to words I read in a book of motivation. Alpha Eddison made 100 failures and only 1 success! Imagine, the comparison is very painful if we use our feeling. But Alpha Eddison did not give up. If only he gave up in his efforts,  45th failure for example, may be currently the world's still dark with no light from the lamp at night. So it's very stupid if I gave up in the 2nd failure deal. Instead of my failures I tried to take lessons as much as possible. If my friend thought it's bad news, he was right. And I just smile when read his SMS as reaction from him. Hehehe. Of course, my friend didn't  do what I do. And don't think what I think. Our thinking is different, our actions are also different. And I don't blame him, because he was right (according to the condition was), but I also feel it is true that my failure was good news (according to my situation). Yes it is, different outlook.



Another story with my friends who are doing similar business with me. He had failed, much worse than me. Not only failed in the transaction, but also suffer substantial material harm towards  his failure. 300 units of commodities was rejected . Because of specification units. Wow ... .. 17 000 times 300. The loss on commodity Rp. 5.1 million. Not including postage and labor. Not including the added loss of good name and the time wasted towards his rejection. Ckckck. Yet on the other hand, at the same time he also suffered a loss of his investment that didn't work. Wow, a very valuable lesson.


So, at least I learned 4 things from the our failures.


1. In running a business, we must have a high consistency.

Clearly, from my experience that I wrote some time ago, consistency is needed in every corner of the business. Even the slightest thing, I (we) should be consistent. Timing, placement, specifications, quantities, and against other things, I should be more consistent


2. Understanding the situation and conditions and business associates.

The situation could change at any time either because of internal and external factors. Just like a war. Lack of understanding the battlefield will give a bad result. As my experience, because I  was careless in calculating the cost of delivery, there was a increasing price that quite burdensome. Though the basic price is appropriate. But because I don't understand combat field, I rely on delivery services that cost is quite burdensome for buyers. And from this case, I began trying to find alternative delivery methods that effective and cheap. It's different with my friend, because of lack of co-workers understanding the character, he suffer  losses from investment that are not rotating. I must be careful in looking for business partners.


3. Studying the flow of distribution.

Yes, I've seen the players in this business just that men again and again. Even a person often plays doubles. In one time he becomes buyer, and also seller. And I hope to get final buyers. So that I can get pretty good prices. From that day I learned how to understand the flow of business distribution.


4. Learning to be patient.

Nothing is instant. That's the basic principle of successful entrepreneurs. Before plunging into the business world, I think can make a big deal and sustained in a single shot.. Apparently not. It's need to be patient to make a good deal. It takes patience to build good image. It takes patience in dealing with the fussy consumers. And it took patience to accept failure.


I am grateful to have been given for this failure. Because I learned many things. And I will improve myself to greet the next deal. Yes ... .. I'm sure I could make a better deal than it is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me a feed back please....